Wednesday 6 April 2016

He's Still Silas

Yesterday Silas and I traveled through a snow storm (because medical appointments are always on snow stormy days!) to be seen by a developmental pediatrician.  We have waited a long time for this appointment so I wasn't going to let some snow stop me.

I have long suspected Silas has more than Down syndrome affecting him. Before I started the adoption process I found out that there is a higher incidence of autism in people with Ds than there is in typical children. So I knew it was a possibility but I sure didn't want to raise a kid with autism. I wanted a kid with "just Down syndrome".

It turns out God had a different idea and he gave me Silas.

And it turns out Silas is on the autism spectrum.

So now we officially start our journey of dual diagnosis....but really we've been living it all along.  Silas is still the same awesome little boy who loves to jump and be tickled. Who knows how to tell me what he wants without words.  Yesterday he carried a two liter jug of juice with a handle in one hand and his cup in the other and he brought them to me. He is strong and determined!

He is an excellent problem solver. He can match shapes and colours and do wooden puzzles. He can undress himself and helps with dressing. He is learning to hug his friends.

So he's still Silas and now we have another piece of the puzzle and we can come up with better ways to help him learn. It feels good to know that I was right!
Getting ready to swim! His favourite activity!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mr. Myles

I leave my house in two sleeps to make the long journey to Bulgaria to visit with Myles. I'm concerned about why he is so small and how that will make life here change. It could be he's just underfed like Silas was (though he's much smaller than Silas was at the same age). It could be reflux or aspiration. He could need a gtube to put food directly into his stomach. Hopefully I'll find out more in just a few days!

I do have one important prayer request though. Today I heard from the agency in Bulgaria that the director of the orphanage says that Myles had/has pneumonia and that he has not fully recovered yet but that she will allow the visits to happen still. It breaks my heart to know that he is sick and I'm not there yet. Soon my little man, soon!

2 comments:

  1. Silas is still Silas. You have another road to travel along this journey. Sending you and Silas and Myles lots of love and positive energy~~~

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are such a good mommy! Great instincts and huge heart. You are a testimony to the mommy's around you. ♡

    ReplyDelete